February 03, 2004

Nothing like a liberal education...

The age-old dilemma--do I write or do I read? Do I blog, or do I enjoy what others have blogged? It seems like there just aren't enough non-work hours in the day to do both. Add to this the fact that Mozilla is still locking up, making blog surfing a bit of a chore rather than a pleasurable pastime, and voilà! the makings of a fine whine are to hand....

So, I'll whine about my class this semester instead. It's stupid. It's one of the stupidest classes I've taken so far in my quest for the elusive MSM. In fact, this class is so torturous that you'd think it was for a Mistress of Sado-Masochism instead of Masters of Science in Management.

What is this travesty of educational dollars? you wonder. Well, it's Human Relations Management. So far we have devoted 75% of our time and energy to sexual harassment in the workplace, and the other 25% to workplace diversity.

Now, I can certainly see how these two topics are worthy of coverage. But wouldn't a simple "sexual harassment bad; diversity good" have sufficed? Do we still have to be obsessing over it 7 chapters into the book? Do we have to be assigned a 6 page paper "case study" on a sexual harassment case from 1994?

Maybe it's me. Maybe I'm just too sensible. Or maybe I'm just too old to be offended by suggestive remarks very easily. The victims in case study were all barely out of their teens, after all. And teenagers, as I know too well, are to drama as cows are to methane. Now I'm not saying that young ladies should tolerate being groped by their lecherous bosses or even their lecherous co-workers. Nor should they lose their jobs when they say "Leave me the hell alone!" But we've covered that, already. It's time to move on. The next two chapters are on Workforce Training and Performance Management. I hope nobody's groping anyone in them, otherwise I'm really gonna wonder about the author of this text...

Posted by Susie at February 3, 2004 02:04 PM | TrackBack
Comments

Mmmmmm..... SharpReader. Blogging with gas!

Posted by: Paul at February 3, 2004 04:22 PM

I recently had to sit through a 4-hour sexual harassment trainging class at work. This is the forth or fifth time I have had to endure this in my career. I think by now I have at least earned my sexual harassment license.

The most amusing part of the whole thing was when the guy presenting was covering the notion of womwn harassing men and went on at length about how female harassers never look like Demi Moore in Disclosure. I think all of the women attending the class were offended.

Posted by: Stephen Macklin at February 3, 2004 05:39 PM

It's not that you're too old to be offended. In fact, it's just the opposite! The Evil White Patriarchy™ has conditioned you to accept all sorts of sexism and racism as normal, and the only way to shed those views and become a truly tolerant person is to take this class!

After all, you won't do much good as a manager if you're still a racist/sexist/classist/whateverthefrickothervictimstheycancomeupwithist!

Posted by: CD at February 3, 2004 11:37 PM

Wouldn't the world be a better place if everyone could actually spend 75% of their time at work sexually harassing everyone else? So long as it was everyone (that takes care of the diversity).

HR courses are for HR professionals who couldn't cope with the real world. *Shudder*

Posted by: Simon at February 4, 2004 02:25 AM

75% enforced sexual harrasment sounds like a great plan! But you could make it even more fun if you gave every one tasers ... the most lecherous employees wouldn't be able to walk by the end of the first day ...

Oh and susie - Windows ME = PC problems ... Lots of em ... get rid and get something half decent on there!

Posted by: Rob at February 4, 2004 05:46 AM

[ping]

Comments: the poor man's trackback :-)

Posted by: Harvey at February 5, 2004 12:03 AM
Post a comment









Remember personal info?